Sunday, April 19, 2009

Chapter 1

Boundaries With Kids
Part 1: Why Kids Need Boundaries
Chapter 1

Qoutes I liked from this chapter

But where we do not possess inner strength, we either get stuck or we fail. (p 14)

The pattern’s children establish early in life (their character) they will live out later. And character is always formed in relationship.

It is better for a child to lose privileges than for an adult to lose a marriage or a career.

An accurate description of children is that they are little people who are out of control with themselves and attempting to control everyone around them.

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 2:6

The essence of boundaries is self control, responsibility, freedom and love.

If parents give without boundaries, children learn to feel entitled and become self-centered and demanding. Ungratefulness becomes a character pattern.

Comments
I love the story at the beginning of this chapter. It reminds me that by taking over responsibility for Isaac I’m turning him into something I don’t want him to become. I don’t want him to feel entitled. I want him to recognize what his responsibilities are.

Parenting is ENTIRELY about the future. Essentially, as parents we are developing our child’s character.

One of my fears is raising Isaac to feel entitled. I don’t want him to think that he can have anything and everything. But his life so far has been so easy---especially being the only child.

I think it was good to describe a parent as a manager. Parenting is a full time job. You are responsible for everything another human being learns and how they learn it! That’s crazy.

4 comments:

  1. I am officially a part of the blog!!

    I haven't started the book yet though - I'll start this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited for your post....but then it was kind of lame, because all you said was that you signed up for the post....and i already knew that. :-). Look forward to hearing your input on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just requested a copy from the library, but it might be a week or so before I get it; it's coming from outside Cambridge.

    Parenting is very much about the future, training up a child. But there is a lot of fun/awe in building the relationship and seeing what your child(ren) is/are like, isn't there? And, though it's about the future, it also makes the present much more bearable, and even fun!, when the parent is the parent and the kid is the kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Heather-
    I'm glad you're on here too. Can you guys post or just comment? I thought by inviting you it would make it so you can be an author.

    ReplyDelete